I Will Delight

There are many things that come to my mind that I can delight in - warm homemade bread, seeing a rainbow, phone calls, colorful flowers, watching little plants bud in the springtime, talking with my Mom or reading a good book. These are all little things that bring a smile to my face : ) What things come to your mind that you can delight in?
My next question is this: What does the Word of God say that we should delight in? Where should our delight truly be, in regards to eternal matters? That is what has been on my mind this evening. I can think of hundreds of "earthly things" that might give me delight for a minute or two - but will they truly satisfy? Will they satisfy me all my days? Of course not!
Only my Lord and Savior can truly delight, satisfy and nourish this hungry soul of mine. He is our Living Water where we don't have to come up dry, thirsty, or parched again, "...whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." John 4:14
With regards to this thought of "delighting," I looked at Psalm 1 which hits the nail on the head about what we should take delight in. "But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in his law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper." v.2-3 The righteous man delights in meditating all day and all night in the law of the Lord - is that where our delight is? Oh - I pray that my delight is there...that my time (especially idle time) would be spent pouring into the Word of God. Because if I don't do this - I will not be a firmly planted tree. My roots will not grow deep, there will hardly be any fruit and I will not be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks me a reason for the hope that is within me (I Peter 3:15b). How sad! I pray that I am not like that and I pray so much for all believers...that their delight is first and foremost in the Lord Jesus Christ and that they would daily seek the Word of God for the nourishment and strength we need to enter the battlefield. Truly, the sword of the Spirit is one of the most vital instruments of a believer - how can we ever think of entering the battle without our main means of defense? "PUT ON the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil...(many articles of armor here)...and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:11,17b
I pray that tomorrow and the next day and the day after next and so forth that you and I will take hold of the sword of the Spirit, that we will delight in drawing closer to our Lord through His Word. Certainly it is not enough to read the Bible out of duty...we must delight in it! Someone once said "Ever open the Book in happy, fellowship with its Author." I sincerely pray that you will find delight with the Bible's Author, God our Creator and Sustainer and remember that "all Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." II Timothy 3:16-17

And I will delight myself in Your commandments, which I love.
Psalm 119:47
Make me walk in the path of Your commandments, for I delight in it.
Psalm 119:35
For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.
Romans 7:22
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 35:4
I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart.
Psalm 40:8
Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live; for Your law is my delight.
Psalm 119:77
Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day...how sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
Psalm 119:97, 103-104

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Need The Lord

Update on My Bro : )

Learning About Him