Be A Turtle


For Christmas, my sister Heather got me the book title "Angola Beloved" by T. Ernest Wilson. Of course, I'm loving every minute of time spent in the book! It's so neat to see how Wilson was affected by different missionaries and despite people saying he couldn't do it or he couldn't afford it...he still went. Wilson wanted to rely fully upon the Lord and saw no reason in telling others his needs, rather he told the Lord and the Lord provided from that point. What a neat story of faith, reminds me quite abit about George Mueller.

A portion that really struck me was when he first arrived in Chilonda, Angola. He was talking with an elder of the meeting there named Sanji. He was one of the very first converts of Central Africa and when he returned to his village after his conversion at a young age, he wanted to immediately tell ALL the people in his tribe! But in the African culture, the younger men do not have a voice. This was true in the tribes in Zambia also...still to this day!

Well, I will let T. Ernest Wilson tell you how this man Sanji shared the gospel with his village.

"Finally, one night he saw his opportunity and told the this story:
'One time in our country there was a severe drought. It hadn't rained for many moons, rivers and lakes had dried up, and many were dying of thirst. The animals of the forest gathered to consider what they would do. The first to speak was the lion. He as king demanded obedience from the rest.
"I know where there is water," he said. "If you follow me, I will lead you to the perpetual spring where I drank when I was a cub."
When he had finished his speakingm the tortoise crawled into the cirlce and lifting his head, said, "I know where there is water!" The lion was so angered at his insolence that he cuffed him with his great paw, but he rolled with the punch and so was not hurt. That day they all followed the lion, but after a long weary journey, when they got to the so-called pereptual spring, lo, it was dry.
Next day they gathered again, and this time it was the elephant's turn to speak. "Listen to me," he bellowed, "when I was young, and there was a drought, the leader of the herd, a wise old elephant, always took us to a waterhole where the water never dried up. If you follow me, I will take you to that waterhole."
When he finished speaking, the tortoise waddled in again and piped up, "I know where there is water!" The elephant was so mad that he stepped on him with his great foot, but the sand was deep and he sank into it andwasn't squashed. That day they followed the elephant, but when they came to the waterhole it was bone dry, with gaping cracks on the surface. Weary and tired they had to trace their steps.
Next day it was the leopard's turn; and the nthe buffalo's. Even the hyena had his say. Each day the tortoise came with his little speech, "I know where there is water."
Finally, disillusioned and discouraged and when they had come to the end of their resources, brother rabbit spoke up.
"Dear friends," he declared, "we have listened very respectfully to our leaders and have loyally followed their advice, but we have been disappointed and are weary and tired and very thirsty. I would suggest that for once we should give brother tortoise a chance and see whether he knows what he is talking about or not."
It was all very humiliating, but they were all so thirsty, that they decided to follow tortoise for once, anyway. With tortoise out front, behind came lion and elephant and leopard and buffalo. After a long journey he led them to a lovely bubbling spring that came out of the rock. They all drank and were refreshed and satisfied, and from that time tortoise had the gratitude and thanks of all.'

Sanji ended his story with the obvious application. He said, 'We have been following you elders for a long time along the dark paths of witchcraft and fear and death and we are thirsty still. But,' he ended dramatically, 'I know where there is living water!'"


After reading this story, I was reminded of how like the little turtle I am. And also how I'm not like the little turtle. Often times, I proclaim that I know where living water is but instead of persisting at it, like my turtle friend, I stop and fail to keep going. Or, I am ridiculed and thrown around for standing up for something this world doesn't believe in and instead of shaking it off like the turtle, I crawl away worried about my "battle" wounds. Certainly, my wounds are nothing compared to the lashing, shame, spitting, piercing, and agony my Savior took for me...and not just me. He shed His precious blood for you, for all mankind.
"Who Himself bore our sins
in His own body
on the tree,
that we having died to sins,
might live for righteousness -
by whose stripes you were healed."
I Peter 2:24
This world is seeking, just like that woman at the well in John, for something that will satisfy. We need to be bold, as Christians, and remind the world just as our Lord did in John 4:13-14 "whoever drinks of this water (in reference to the well) will thirst again. BUT, whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."

With JOY we should tell this.
With LOVE we should proclaim this good news.
With HOPE we should tell others of the HOPE they can have.

"And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good?
But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake,
you are blessed.
'And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.'
But set apart the Lord God in your hearts,
and always be read to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the HOPE that is in you,
with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3:13-15


So be a TURTLE

Comments

  1. Thank you for the encouragement, Melissa. This is something that I'm struggling with also. To be faithful and persistent in sharing my faith - "the HOPE that is within me".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good book Melissa. It has been years since I read it (20!) but I remember how I was encouraged.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Missed seeing you on Sun. Could you give me a call I am wanting to ask you something. Your dad has our #. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

People Need The Lord

Update on My Bro : )

Learning About Him